Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Someone needs to learn to use a cellphone

That would be my dad. He left for Alaska on the ferry on Friday, and I haven't heard from him since. Tonight I decide to go to bed early so I can get up at the crack of dawn and go work some claims, and of course he calls. I miss the call by about 10 seconds, and immediately call back. No answer, so I try again. No answer, so I try again. I give up, and just hope they aren't dying in a ditch somewhere and that call to me was the last of the cell battery somewhere out in god-knows-where between here and Haines, Alaska.

So I finally get a message. And through the whole message my dad is complaining (and cursing, let's be honest here) the beeps he keeps hearing in the phone. And he's assuming those beeps mean his message might not get through because the roaming isn't working. So he's going to call my sister too, so we can email each other that they are alive and well in Alaska, with some drama from the ferry and tales to tell. They are behind schedule, but that's all I know, because he wouldn't answer my call. Oh, and they saw a grey wolf, that has to be cool. And I know I missed the call in the first place, but come on Dad, the beep on a cellphone is the same as the beep on your cordless at home. Doesn't mean the battery is dead, it's the call waiting. We should have had lessons before you left.

Next lesson: debit cards and their many wonders.

Love ya Dad. Safe travels, and I hope you're writing along the way...

No comments: