Friday, December 5, 2008

Hmmm

I think I need a new job. I just spent 6 hours answering phones for a radiothon for Kiro's radio's Holiday Magic, which raises money for Treehouse (http://www.treehouse4kids.org/) to buy holiday gifts for foster kids in Western Washington. We raised $400,000 in 28 hours. It was phenomenal.

I spend my days at work talking to people who want money, and often will lie and cheat to get as much of it as they can. Tonight I got to talk to people who are giving generously. It was such a refreshing change. No one was whining or complaining to me, or questioning what I was doing or why. Callers were incredibly patient, and downright pleasant, even though several times it was so loud from cheering in the call center, that I had to ask people to repeat their addresses or credit card info. No one got irritated or said anything even a little bit rude in the whole six hours. I never have a streak like that at work.

It renewed my spirit to spend my day with volunteers, and to answer the phone and talk to the awesome people of this area, many of whom have their own financial concerns, but who still wanted to give something to make a child's holiday special.

Makes me really miss my days working in nonprofits. What a way to head into the weekend--it was awesome!

No comments: