Friday, August 22, 2008

I cooked.

Enough said, right? But in case you don't know me that well, I will elaborate.

Every Friday, 3 of us get together for what we call Friday Night Dinner. Duh, not clever, but gets the point across. Naturally, we rotate who does the cooking each week. Needless to say, two out of every three weeks, I really enjoy Friday night, and I eat really well. The third week, everyone dreads.

Tonight's menu is lasagna, salad, and bread. Not very creative, but I also don't have a very good track record with lasagna. Basically, I should have gone to Costco, but instead decided to try following a recipe. It's actually an easy recipe, using cheese ravioli instead of noodles and ricotta. Sounded good to me!

Unfortunately, ravioli does not come in a package the size called for in the recipe. Also, Trader Joe's didn't have enough ravioli, so I had to go to a different store to get more. Because of that, we now have mismatched ravioli in our lasagna. Half is square, half is triangle, so the lasagna looks funny.

Then I thought I had parmesan cheese in my fridge. After digging deep into the back of my cheese drawer, I found not one, but two tubs of parmesan. Success, right? One had a sell-by date in April, one a sell-by date in July. Since it was "sell-by", not "use-by", I figured the July one should be fine. Opened them both up, and the July one is moldy, while the April one looks fine. Hmmm.

After I finish assembling the lasagna, I'm supposed to cover it with foil. Shit! I forgot that last weekend for the Kappa summer picnic, I used my last bit of foil for my potluck item. So a trip to the grocery is a must before I can cook the lasagna.

I get to Top Foods, and decide to go ahead and get parmesan since, while I'm pretty sure my dinner won't taste very good, I don't want to poison anyone with bad cheese. Now on to the foil. I've left my oven on at home so I'm in a bit of a hurry, but can I find the foil aisle? Hell no. I buy foil roughly once every seventeen years, so had to stop and really think about where to look. After crossing the store a couple times, I finally found the picnic aisle and the foil. Reynolds is $9.99. It's frickin' foil and is going to be thrown away. How can it possibly cost that much? Another case where I should have gone to Costco. I bought the cheap stuff instead.

Once I get home, I need to do something with the bread. Had to cut it in half with a steak knife since can't I can't seem to find the bread knife I had once upon a time. Ran out of time to bake the garlic I bought yesterday. So I put on some of the seasoning mix that came with two of the ravioli packages. Ha! That should taste good.

So I feel sorry for my friends tonight, but I did pick up a tub of tiramisu gelatto when I was at the store, so if nothing else, they will go home with their sweet tooths satisfied. And then two more glorious weeks of good food until next time.

1 comment:

ofagirl said...

Wow - sounds like we have similar lasagna issues! I think I have successfully made a good lasagna one time. And even that was debatable. I'm just no good at it. Is it all the layers? Too much involved? Who knows.
On another note, I have decided that I cannot bake. After the cupcakes I made a few weeks ago spilled over the cups, and the chocolate chip cookies I made on Friday turned out flat as pancakes, it became apparent. Oh well. I guess I will spend my kitchen time trying to perfect a lasagna...we'll see...!