Wednesday, October 22, 2008

USPS is a scam

I am going to very careful from now on not to order anything that gets delivered by our lovely United States Government Post Office. I will pay more for UPS, DHL, whatever, at least they actually deliver.

I have this package that requires a signature. It's a nice gift for someone, which the post office refuses to leave in my secured mailbox. Ok, fair enough, whatever. But I look at the pink slip to figure out where to go, and the carrier facility have to pick it up at is open from 9:30-11:30am, and 1:00-4:00 pm. Wouldn't I love to have that job! Of course my job requires that I be there from 8am-4:30pm, making me unable to get to the post office during the 4 hours a day they actually work.

Today I took time off work to go pick up my package. I got there at 4:07 and the window was closed. I rang the bell anyway, 3 times, with no answer. I knocked on the window twice, no acknowledgment that I was there. I could hear people behind the window, I guess they were having their after-work cocktails on our dime, spending their pension early or something, because it sure didn't appear they were working.

I went to my car and called. Jaspar answered. I asked what I should do since I work during the hours they are open and have no way to pick up the package. He said no customer service agents are available after 4:00pm. I asked why, since people work during those hours, and what could he do to help me find a way to get it delivered. Then he said it was my problem and hung up on me. Bastard. He probably gets paid more than me to sit around and hang up on people. Obviously customer service doesn't exist, and forget about courtesy after 4:00pm.

I'm glad I can do all my bill-paying online, that I never have to send letters because we have email now, and that I have very little reason to ever use the post office again.

No comments: